My blog for personal poetry and photographs!

http://artistroad.blogspot.com/

And follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/thunderroad79







“The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with.”
- Bruce Springsteen -

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

#22 Bishop Danced by Bruce Springsteen

Alice in Wonderland, a politician’s speech, mostly everything on TV, especially those things with the nerve to be called reality shows, a conversation with Sarah Palin, award shows and their red carpet extravaganza, tellatubby’s, Hail Mary’s, Chris Farley movies, this season’s “must-haves”….and Bishop Danced. What do all these things have in common? NONSENSE.

Whenever I come across something seemingly pointless, like an action packed Van Diesel summer blockbuster, I immediately become critical over its lack of substance and of the people who desperately enjoy such forms of entertainment.

Because something is nonsense, does that mean there is no purpose for it? Other than words from the mouth of Sarah Palin, I’d day there is a very distinct purpose for nonsensical things: escapism. I cringe to compare a Springsteen song to any of these other things, again my art snob voice rising, but it is just possible that in the four decades of his life as a songwriter, he has written some….nonsense! Okay, I said it….call me Judas…

Sometimes we need to just shut down the voices inside and surrender ourselves, our minds, our bodies over to another living or non-living thing. Not everything has to be so darn serious! This is something I sometimes need to remind myself. Sometimes a song is meant to move you without words. Some things are just meant to be silly or to entertain. Life is hard and there are too many difficult things to face head on. A little denial can’t hurt...can it?

If life was longer, if life was endless, there would be time for nonsense. But now as I turn 30 (whoa! not just yet), I feel like nonsense, escape, relaxation are a waste of the few precious minutes I have to enjoy life. I need to force a little more nonsense in my life…nonsense from Bruce – now there’s a good compromise!

For Complete Lyrics Visit: http://www.brucespringsteen.net/songs/BishopDanced.html

No comments:

Post a Comment