My blog for personal poetry and photographs!

http://artistroad.blogspot.com/

And follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/thunderroad79







“The best music is essentially there to provide you something to face the world with.”
- Bruce Springsteen -

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

#101 Jungleland by Bruce Springsteen


 

“Outside the streets on fire in a real death waltz
Between flesh and what's fantasy and the poets down here
Don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be”

 
When a life event completely overwhelms me, devastating, wonderful, exciting, I find it very difficult to write about it.  I’m torn between wanting to capture the moment in some tangible way and just letting it be, living in the moment.  The moment I discovered the one I love loves me, losing a much loved pet, the birth of my child and every moment with him thereafter.  All of these moments I have not written about, maybe a brief line or a notation in my journal for the sake of dated memories, but nothing written could ever capture those moments in any substantial way.  Anything written would be swept up in the chaos, a whisper in a storm.  The poets in Jungleland faced a reality they felt powerless to change, to capture in words in hopes of freeing themselves from its grasp. When nothing changes for so long, you can only believe nothing will ever change and your hands, your pen, your words, are not powerful enough to change anything.  It would be easy to “let it all be”, but as one of my favorite song lines says “It’s not the world that I am changing….I do this so this world will know it will not change me” (Garth Brooks).  And so I write…..

 
For Complete Lyrics Visit:  http://brucespringsteen.net/songs/jungleland

No comments:

Post a Comment